Request for Medical Records

Medical records are managed by the Health Information Management department located in The Medical Center at Bowling Green. These trained professionals are responsible for the timely and accurate collection of your health information, as well as release of your medical record. They are committed to ensuring your information is kept confidential and secure.

If you have questions regarding your medical record, please contact us at (270) 745-1271 or (270) 745-1009. Normal business hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Frequently Asked Questions 

How can I obtain a copy of my medical record?

You can access your health information online with The Medical Center’s patient health portal, MyRecord. You can view your Discharge Summaries, History & Physicals, Lab results, Radiology results and Medications.

If you would like a hard copy of your medical record, download the Medical Information Release Authorization form or write a letter authorizing The Medical Center to release a copy of your medical record. The authorization form or letter must include your name, date of birth, social security number, date of service, name of hospital where services were performed, the person/organization to receive the information, along with the address where the information is to be sent. It must be signed and dated by the patient or the patient’s guardian or legal representative.

Please fill out the form in its entirety, include any court documents that may be necessary (guardianship papers, power of attorney, etc.), and submit to us in one of the following ways:

  • Fax the authorization form or letter to (270) 745-1272;
  • Email through the MyRecord patient portal or at—be sure to include your full name, date of birth, SS#, visit date, and reason for visit;
  • You may come to the Health Information Management department, fill out a release, and provide picture ID; or
  • Mail to:
    The Medical Center at Bowling Green
    Health Information Management
    250 Park Street
    Bowling Green KY 42101
Medical Information Release Authorization Form

Is there a fee?

Kentucky law allows for one free hard copy of your medical records. Additional copies are $1.00 per page. If applicable, a retrieval and postage fee will be applied.

How long does it take to get a hard copy of my medical record?

The turnaround time is 5 to 7 business days, depending on the location of your medical record (computer, microfiche or paper). If there is a circumstance that requires immediate release of the medical record, call the Health Information Management department at (270) 745-1271 to discuss your needs.

What do I need to do to have hard copies of my medical records sent to a different healthcare provider?

Submit an authorization form or letter requesting your medical record copies be mailed or faxed to another healthcare provider. You must include the name, address, phone number and/or fax number of the healthcare provider. There is no fee for this service.

What information is not part of the medical record?

The following are not included in the medical record:

  • Radiology images, telemetry tapes and photos. To receive a copy of these items, you will need to contact the department that provided the service. To contact the Radiology Department, call (270) 745-1200.
  • Blood type. Blood typing is not routinely performed and therefore may not be part of your medical record. If blood typing was performed, an authorization form or letter is required. Results will be sent to you.
  • Billing statements. Contact our billing service, Commonwealth Financial Resources, at (270) 745-1100 or 1-800-786-1581.
  • Birth certificates. Contact the State Registrar of Vital Statistics at 877-817-7362 or

Can I obtain a hard copy of a family member’s medical record?

You can not obtain a family member’s medical record unless you have power of attorney, guardianship or are the executor of the patient’s estate. You must submit an authorization form or letter along with a copy of the legal document that designates power of attorney, guardianship or executor rights.

If the patient is deceased and does not have an Executor/Executrix of Estate, we will need the Next of Kin Affidavit (download below) filled out and notarized along with a release form.

Next of Kin Affidavit

How long are medical records kept?

Medical records are kept for various periods of time according to Kentucky statute.

How can I receive a Birth Verification?

You can receive a Birth Verification by filling out the form below and returning it to us by fax, mail, email or in person. Please fill the form out in its entirety and include any appropriate court documents (guardianship, power of attorney, etc.).

Birth Verification Form

Return to FAQs

Person sitting at computer