Information for Parents

We know that one of the biggest concerns parents and guardians have is the safety and well being of their students while in college. WKU Health Services is here to help your student should they become sick, injured or need to see a healthcare provider while a student at WKU.

WKU Health Services is overseen by Med Center Health, the largest and most comprehensive healthcare provider in Southcentral Kentucky. Located just two miles from WKU’s Bowling Green campus, The Medical Center at Bowling Green, Med Center Health’s flagship hospital, offers comprehensive emergency, specialty and surgical services.

While at WKU, WKU Health Services by Med Center Health can provide a wide range of healthcare services to care for your student while away from home. We accept most private pay insurance, as well as Medicare and Medicaid coverage.


WKU Health Services is open 8 am – 6 pm Monday – Thursday and 8 am – 4:30 pm on Fridays, Central Time. Special alternate hours may apply during holiday and summer breaks. If your student is not feeling well or needs to see a healthcare provider, they may simply call (270) 745-CARE (2273) to make an appointment during this time. 

Your student will need their driver’s license or other official form of ID and their insurance card (if available) at the time of their appointment. Insurance is not required to be seen by a healthcare provider.

We are located on the south side of the WKU Bowling Green campus, near the Freshman Village with convenient access to the Topper Transit line. We also have free parking available for students while they are seeing our providers.


We encourage students who are having physical or mental emergencies to call 911 or to call or text the Suicide Hotline at 988

The Medical Center at Bowling Green Emergency Department is a short, two-mile drive away from campus for non-life-threatening emergencies after hours.

If your student is sick or needs to see a healthcare provider during weekends or during times WKU Health Services is not open, Medical Center Urgentcare is open everyday from 8:00 am – 8:00 pm. Located at 291 New Towne Drive off Lover’s Lane in Bowling Green, students may access Medical Center Urgentcare by car or via the GO BG Transit System.


We know you have lots of questions, and we are here to help. 

My student is having a crisis or does not feel safe. Who do they call?

Any time your student  feels their  life is in danger or their safety is in question, they should call 911. The WKU Police are located on campus and will immediately respond. If your student is having a mental health crisis, they may also call or text 988 from their cell phone.

What services can my student access at WKU Health Services?

At WKU Health Services, we encourage students to take charge of their own health and wellness. This includes calling to schedule appointments, keeping those appointments and being prepared with their official form of ID and insurance card when they arrive for their appointments.

Please visit our Services Page for a complete listing of services offered at the clinic. If a service your student needs is not listed, Med Center Health offers a variety of specialty services and providers nearby. Bowling Green has a comprehensive healthcare community dedicated to the health and well being of those who live, work and visit here. If your student requires a specialty service while at WKU, there is a high likelihood it is offered in Bowling Green. Please feel free to ask us, and we will be happy to assist in finding the care your student needs.

What are our payment options at WKU Health Services?

Med Center Health at WKU Health Services is in network with all major insurance plans, including Medicaid and Medicare. We also accept the WKU Student Health Insurance plan. If there is an out-of-network patient responsibility, the self-pay discount fee schedule can be used.

WKU Health Services allows patients the option to pay in cash for services rendered at our clinic as opposed to billing those services to insurance.

Will WKU Health Services require my student to pay a copay?

Yes, depending on the patient responsibility requirement from your health plan, a copay will be collected at the time of service.

Where can I pay my bill?

Please visit Commonwealth Financial Resources to pay your WKU Health Services bill.

Will I have access to my student’s medical record?

Yes and no. If your student is under the age of 18, there are certain circumstances under which you may access their medical record. There are some cases under which we will not be able to release your underage child’s records. If your student is over the age of 18, they must provide consent in writing for WKU Health Services to release their medical records to parents, guardians, other physicians, or other individuals. 

My student takes allergy shots. Can they get those at WKU Health Services?

Yes. WKU Health Services can administer allergy shots. Your student may call (270) 745-CARE to make arrangements.

My student needs an immunization. Can they get it at WKU Health Services?

Yes, WKU Health Services offers a range of immunizations needed for study abroad, student teaching, healthcare clinicals, or for things like influenza, HPV or COVID-19.  Your student may call (270) 745-CARE to make an appointment for an immunization.

What if my student suffers an injury while away at college?

For non-emergency injuries, WKU Health Services offers a variety of acute injury treatments including x-rays and stitches. We also offer physical therapy services so that students recovering from injuries or surgeries won’t have to leave campus for their care. 

Med Center Health Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine serves as the official healthcare provider for WKU Athletics and their physicians, trainers and therapists are on campus regularly. Their offices are located just two miles away on the campus of The Medical Center at Bowling Green. They offer comprehensive orthopaedic care for any student or student athlete.

Does WKU Health Services have a pharmacy?

WKU Health Services offers dispensing of medications such as antibiotics or allergy treatments. We can also dispense controlled substances to your student to eliminate overuse or the necessity for personal storage.  

Bowling Green hosts a variety of pharmacies nearby. There is a CVS within walking distance of campus, and Med Center Health’s Riverside Pharmacy is just a short drive away.

Does WKU Health Services offer mental health services?

Yes. WKU Health Services works closely with the WKU Counseling Center to provide mental health counseling and services as needed by students.

Does WKU Health Services offer care for sexual assault?

Med Center Health is the only local healthcare provider to employ a full-time nationally-certified Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE). This nurse works in conjunction with law enforcement to thoroughly and confidentially investigate suspected or alleged instances of sexual assault.

My student is in transition, or has transitioned. Does WKU Health Services offer gender-affirming care for students or for students needing assistance with LGBTQIA+ concerns?

WKU Health Services offers care for all individuals regardless of race, ethnicity, religious or sexual preference, or otherwise. While Med Center Health does not have a service line that specifically addresses gender transitioning at this time, we will gladly assist your student to the best of our ability should they need us during their time at WKU with confidential, compassionate care.