The Medical Center at Albany is dedicated to providing the highest quality stroke care to our community. From our 24/7 Emergency Department to our specially-trained physical therapy staff, we are committed to helping you achieve the best outcome possible.
STROKE AWARENESS: DO YOU KNOW THE SIGNS?
If you believe you or someone you know is having a stroke, call 911 right away.
Stroke is the fifth leading cause of death and is the leading cause of serious, long-term disability in America. A stroke happens when a blood vessel bringing blood and oxygen to the brain ruptures or becomes blocked. When this occurs, brain cells do not get the flow of blood they need and die within minutes. The devastating effects of a stroke can become permanent if help is not sought immediately. If you suspect someone is having a stroke, remember the acronym BE FAST and call 911 right away.
- Balance – Have they fallen? Are they dizzy or clutching at something to steady themselves?
- Eyes – Is there a sudden loss of vision or blurring in one or both eyes?
- Face – Is one side of the face drooping or does the face look uneven?
- Arms – Is one arm weak or numb? Do they have difficulty lifting an arm?
- Speech – Is speech slurred or confused?
- Time – If you see any of the symptoms above, call 9-1-1 now! If you can, make note of the time you first noticed the symptoms start.