Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Visitation Restrictions
Visitation restrictions are in effect at all Med Center Health hospitals and Cal Turner Rehab & Specialty Care.
Med Center Health encourages all residents to do their part to stop the spread of coronavirus. Frequent hand-washing for 20 seconds, maintaining social distancing of at least 6 feet and mask wearing in public spaces can help keep our community safe. Locally, there is widespread COVID-19 testing available. Stay the course to keep our community safe!
Wearing a mask in public
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends the following to help minimize the spread of COVID-19: Wearing a mask while out in public, frequent hand cleaning, and social distancing are important preventive actions. It is necessary that all three recommendations be followed.
The CDC encourages people to wear a cloth face mask that covers their nose and mouth whenever they are out in the community.
A cloth face covering is not intended to protect the wearer, but may prevent the spread of virus from the wearer to others. This would be especially important in the event that someone is infected but does not have symptoms. A cloth face covering should be worn whenever people must go into public settings (grocery stores, for example). Medical masks and N-95 respirators are reserved for healthcare workers and other first responders, as recommended by current CDC guidance. (CDC-How to Protect Yourself FAQs)
Handwashing is one of the most vital things you can do to protect yourself from the spread of any virus, including COVID-19. The CDC recommends the following five steps for washing hands every time:
- Wet your hands with clean, running water (warm or cold), turn off the tap, and apply soap.
- Lather your hands by rubbing them together with the soap. Lather the backs of your hands, between your fingers, and under your nails.
- Scrub your hands for at least 20 seconds. Need a timer? Hum the “Happy Birthday” song from beginning to end twice.
- Rinse your hands well under clean, running water.
- Dry your hands using a clean towel or air dry them.
You can use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available.
- Apply the gel product to the palm of one hand (read the label to learn the correct amount).
- Rub your hands together.
- Rub the gel over all the surfaces of your hands and fingers until your hands are dry. This should take around 20 seconds.
Social distancing means keeping a space of at least six feet between yourself and other people. This is because the germs from a virus can travel between people from coughing or sneezing. When people are close to each other in a group, even talking or singing can transmit the virus.
- Stay at least 6 feet (about 2 arms’ length) from other people
- Do not gather in groups
- Stay out of crowded places and avoid mass gatherings
Testing is available in our area, including at Medical Center Urgentcare. Testing as many people as possible is important because of how COVID-19 can be contagious even when someone does not have symptoms. To find the testing site closest to you, visit kycovid19.ky.gov for the most current list of locations.
It is important for everyone to follow the three recommendations from the CDC–cloth face covering, frequent hand cleaning and social distancing–to help stop the spread of COVID-19.