Med Center Health offers three non-invasive, painless screenings that look for the most common vascular risks: Stroke, Aortic Aneurysm, and Lower Extremity Peripheral Arterial Disease.
The cost is $35 for each screening or all three screenings for $90. For members of The Medical Center’s Senior Health Network, The Women’s Center or Men’s Health Alliance programs, the cost is $80 for all three. Cash or check accepted. Screenings are not covered by insurance.
- Detects stroke risk.
- Stroke is the third leading cause of death.
- A screening scan of the carotid arteries in the neck will detect plaque build-up, which causes 33% of strokes.
Abdominal Aortic Ultrasound
- Detects Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm.
- Tenth leading cause of death in males over the age of 55.
- The vast majority of aneurysms cause no symptoms until rupture.
- A painless scan of the abdomen is performed.
- Detects Lower Extremity Peripheral Artery Disease.
- Disease affects 20-30 million Americans, which may cause pain when walking
- Severe cases eventually may lead to amputation.
- A quick and painless test measures the blood flow in the legs to detect blockage in the arteries.
A vascular technician with Med Center Health Heart, Lung & Vascular Surgeons performs the screenings and reviews all results immediately on-site. The results are then reviewed by a board-certified vascular surgeon, and a report is sent to you and your physician.
Who should undergo vascular screening tests?
- Over the age of 50
- Present or past smokers
- History of heart disease
- High blood pressure
- High Cholesterol
- Positive family history of strokes, aortic aneurysm, or heart disease
How should I prepare?
- Avoid wearing turtlenecks or high collar sweaters for Carotid Ultrasound.
- Take nothing by mouth 4 – 8 hours before Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Ultrasound.
- Ankles and feet will need to be accessible for Peripheral Artery Ultrasound.
- Allow 10 to 15 minutes for each exam.